Sunday, May 6, 2012

Is it easy?

Hellew everyone. I have been battling a cold lately, so my sleeping schedule is very much out of whack. It is four in the morning and I found myself watching a video on YouTube. One video led to another, and somehow I ended up on a video of the Charleston 9 firefighters memorial service. I have no clue how I got there, but I'm going to assume it has something to do with my interests in my husband's profession. Anyways, as the video started, I got extremely sad. Needless to say, I couldn't even finish the video. Its not like I needed to watch this type of video while my husband is on call at his station at four in the morning anyways. As I watched the beginning, and I found out what happened to those men in that building, I thought to myself "What would I do if I lost my husband in a fire?" Stupid, stupid, stupid. Don't ever do that. Ever. So this got me thinking and reminded me of all the women I have heard say, "It's not easy being a firefighters wife." I have also had men tell me that they don't think many women can handle it. When I was growing up, my father was in the military. Lucky for me, he only went to Iraq once. It only took that one time for me to promise myself that I would never marry a man in the military. I didn't want to have to deal with him being gone all the time. Now, of course I didn't marry one, but I fell in love with an amazing firefighter. Not once did I think about my "rule" that I made up. And with him being a firefighter, I say he faces more danger every day at work, instead of a military guy leaving country occasionally. I am not disrespecting any military people, I am just pointing out that I definitely went above and beyond my own rule marrying a firefighter. I guess basically it boils down to this: I have heard soooooo many times that it is not easy being a firefighters wife, but it's simply not true. I am deeply in love with my firefighter husband, and no matter what he has to do in his job is going to make me love him any less, or leave because I'm scared. How could this be hard? Of course, I get scared at times. There are times, when I know he will be busy, and I turn my scanner off so I can't hear what's going on. It's not hard to love someone. It's not hard to always be there for them. Just because you are scared to lose someone, does not mean it is hard to be with them. It is not hard to be a firefighters wife. Scary, at times, but never hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment